Flexible Working Request Letter
This Flexible Working Request is designed to be used by parents or guardians of children under the age of 17, or those who have responsibility for a disabled child under 18 who receives Disability Living Allowance, to request Flexible Working Arrangements. This allows the parent to request flexible working arrangements to make their work-parenting balance more suitable.
The right to request flexible working is a statutory right and the written application for flexible working must:
1. state that it is being made under the statutory right to request flexible working;
2. confirm that the employee has responsibility for the child (of appropriate age) and is the mother, father, adopter, guardian or foster parent; or married to or the partner of the same;
3. explain the effects the employee thinks their work pattern change will have on the employer;
4. explain how the employee thinks that any such effects could be dealt with;
5. specify the desired flexible working pattern;
6. specify the date on which the new pattern should commence;
7. state whether any previous application has been made; and
8. be dated.
This letter conforms to these requirements. It contains a number of optional paragraphs and phrases. These are enclosed in square brackets.
Employers may choose to adopt a standard form for applications for flexible working. As an employee you should check with your employer first to determine if they use such a form. As an employer wishing to use such a form, a template is available through the related document links below.
This Flexible Working Request is in open format. Either enter the requisite details in the highlighted fields or adjust the wording to suit your purposes.
When you click on the “Download Document” button below you will be asked what you want to do with the file. It is recommended that you save the document to a location of your choice prior to viewing.