Welcome to Simply-Docs

Letter to Head Landlord for Consent to Carry Out Energy Improvement Works and Request to Notify Insurer of Works


This Letter to Head Landlord for consent to carry out energy improvement works and request to notify insurer of works is for use by a residential landlord who owns a long leasehold property and who needs consent to energy efficiency works under the Head Lease terms. This letter should be printed on the landlord’s headed paper and sent to the Head Landlord.

If the works are of a minor non-structural type, consent would not ordinarily be required, and this letter should not be used. However, for more substantial works, involving structural works, such as cavity wall insulation, replacement windows, etc.  consent may be applicable, and this letter should be used. In all cases, the Head Lease should be reviewed to establish whether the Head Landlord’s consent is required or not.  If unclear, legal advice should then be taken.

This letter also includes a request that the Head Landlord notifies the insurer of the works  to prevent any claims being invalidated which might result from the works.  Again, the lease should be reviewed to check that the Head Landlord does in fact insure the building.  If not, then contact with the landlord’s own insurer should be made to notify them of the work.  The Head Landlord is asked to sign a copy of the letter and return it to the landlord to confirm their consent and that the insurer has been notified of the works. 

Optional phrases/clauses are enclosed in square brackets. These should be read carefully and selected so as to be compatible with one another. Unused options should be removed from the document.

This letter is in open format. Either enter the requisite details in the highlighted fields or adjust the wording to suit your purposes.

Full Guidance on the MEES Regulations, exemptions and requirements for domestic premises can be found at www.gov.uk.   Since 1 April 2020 most domestic rental properties (let on an assured, regulated or domestic agricultural tenancy) need an energy efficiency rating of at least E.  The government proposals for all residential lets to achieve an EPC rating of C or above by 1 April 2028 have been scrapped.  Whilst not legally required to make improvements above E rating, some landlords may still wish to upgrade the energy efficiency of the property and this letter can be used to assist with the process.

Once you have purchased access to the appropriate document folder click on the “Download Document” button below. You will be asked what you want to do with the file. It is recommended that you save the document to a location of your choice prior to viewing.

Letter to Head Landlord for Consent to Carry Out Energy Improvement Works and Request to Notify Insurer of Works is part of Property Documents. Just £35.00 + VAT provides unlimited downloads from Property Documents for 1 year.

Simply-4-Business Ltd Registered in England and Wales No. 4868909 Unit 100, Parkway House, Sheen Lane, London SW14 8LS