This Sickness Absence Policy is intended to assist employers in managing
sickness-related absence fairly and effectively
The policy explains the review processes for frequent short-term sickness
absence and for long-term sickness absence, with defined trigger points for
each stage of the procedure. The two processes in this Sickness Absence
Policy are intended to operate in parallel. This means that employee
sickness absences will be managed under one or other process.
Employers are not expected to continue to employ an employee on long-term
sick leave or with a record of frequent sickness absences indefinitely, and
this Sickness Absence Policy establishes a procedure to allow employers to
take action, up to and including dismissal, against an employee.
Lack of capability, including incapability related to ill health, is a
potentially fair reason for dismissal but, for an incapability dismissal of
an employee to be fair, the dismissal has to fall into the "band of
reasonable responses". This means an employer must investigate the reasons
for the employee’s sickness absence and give the employee an opportunity to
improve his or her attendance record before action is taken.
This policy includes the following sections:
3. Notification of sickness
4. Certification of sickness
5. Maintaining contact during sickness absence
6. Return to work interviews
7. Sick pay
8. Sickness which occurs whilst the employee is on holiday
9. Medical advice
10. Frequent absence sickness review process – Stage 1 meeting
11. Frequent absence sickness review process – Stage 2 meeting
12. Frequent absence sickness review process – Stage 3 meeting
13. Part time employees
14. Long term sickness absence – Stage 1 meeting
15. Long term sickness absence – Stage 2 meeting
16. Long term sickness absence – Stage 3 meeting
17. Pregnancy-related absences
18. Elective and/or cosmetic surgery
19. Work arrangements when absent
20. Data Protection
For a policy covering sickness and other types of absence, see the separate
Sickness and Absence Policy.
This template is in open format. Either enter the requisite details in the
highlighted fields or adjust the wording to suit your purposes.
Options and alternatives appear in blue font.