Student Letting Agreements
The student lettings market has grown in recent years, due to an increase in the number of people in higher education. Owning and letting out a rental property in a university town can be a good investment.
As with all lettings, it is essential that the terms of a student’s occupation are properly documented. This will reduce the scope for disputes and ensure that the landlord gets the property back at the time and in the condition he requires.
The list of templates below contains assured shorthold tenancy agreements for student houses, flats and bedsits, as well as licences for student lodgers occupying rooms in the landlord’s home. These templates are suitable for tenancies in England only. For tenancies in Wales please view Renting Homes Wales.
These tenancy agreements are similar to the standard Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreements, but they have been adapted to suit student lettings in England. For example, our agreements contain an option for rent to be paid termly, and there are specific tenants' covenants regarding parties and noise.
Additional templates include guidance notes, parental guarantees and deeds of assignment and surrender.
All residential landlords must comply with a wide range of legal requirements before entering into a tenancy agreement. The Residential Tenancy Compliance Documents will help landlords comply with these requirements.
The documents are drafted using plain English so that they can be understood by laypeople. Where it is necessary to use legal terms an explanation in plain English is included.
- Guidance Note: Letting Property to Students
- Student Tenancy Agreement for Shared Furnished House
- Student Tenancy Agreement for Shared Furnished Flat
- Student Bedsit Agreement (Rent Exclusive of Outgoings)
- Student Bedsit Agreement (Rent Inclusive of Outgoings)
- Licence for Student to Occupy a Room in the Landlord’s Home
- Licence for Student to Occupy a Room in the Landlord’s Home (Term Time only)
- Student Tenancy Agreement Guarantee and Indemnity (Single Tenant)
- Student Tenancy Agreement Guarantee and Indemnity (Joint Tenants)
- Explanatory Notes for Student Tenants
- Agreement Between Student House Sharers
- Deed of Assignment (Single Tenant)
- Deed of Assignment (Joint Tenants)
- Deed of Release of Guarantor
- Deed of Surrender (Single Tenant)
- Deed of Surrender (Joint Tenants)
- Guidance Note: Property Inventories
- Pro-forma Inventory
- Student Tenant Letter for Check-out Inventory
- Guidance on Protecting Student Tenants’ Deposits
These Student Lettings Agreements are part of Property. Just £35.00 + VAT provides 1 year's unlimited downloads of all/any of the documents.