This privacy notice should be given to potential and actual tenants and guarantors of commercial property to provide information about how their personal data will be used.
This document has been updated in line with the UK GDPR and is ready for use from the start of 2021.
The UK's data protection legislation (consisting primarily of the UK GDPR and Data Protection Act 2018), requires landlords to be transparent about the personal data that they hold and how it is used. The UK GDPR requires landlords to provide the following information to tenants and guarantors at the point that data is collected from them:
• the landlord’s identity and contact details;
• the purposes for which the personal data will be processed, as well as the legal basis for the processing;
• if the landlord is relying on its legitimate interests as the lawful condition for processing, what those legitimate interests are;
• the recipients or categories of recipients of the personal data;
• any transfer of the data outside the UK and the basis for such transfer;
• the period for which data will be stored, or the criteria used to determine how long data will be retained;
• the individual's rights to subject access, rectification or erasure of personal data, and the right to restrict processing or object to processing;
• where data is obtained from a third party, the source of the data, including if it came from publicly accessible sources.
This privacy notice lists the types of information a typical landlord will collect and specifies the third parties with whom personal data is likely to be shared. Landlords should amend the template as necessary to reflect their own practices.
For guidance and more detailed background information on data protection, please refer to our Data Protection Guidance Notes for Commercial Landlords.
This Privacy Notice for Landlords is in open format. Either enter the requisite details in the highlighted fields or adjust the wording to suit your purposes.
Once you have subscribed to the appropriate document folder click on the “Download Document” button below. You will be asked what you want to do with the file. It is recommended that you save the document to a location of your choice prior to viewing.