This letter declaration is a director’s declaration of interest in relation to an existing transaction or arrangement with the company.
The Companies Act 2006 places a requirement on directors to declare their interest (direct or indirect) in any existing transaction or arrangement that has been entered into by the company (section 182).
This declaration can be made in one of three ways:
- at a meeting of the directors, or
- by notice in writing (under section 184), or
- by general notice (under section 185).
The declaration must be made as soon as reasonably practicable and if a declaration proves to be, or becomes inaccurate or incomplete, a further declaration must be made. Note that section 182 does NOT apply if and to the extent that the interest has been declared under section 177.
This template covers the giving of the declaration in accordance with section 184, i.e. notice in writing. For a General Notice (s.185), please see below right.
A declaration of an interest of which the director is not aware, is not required. For this purpose a director is treated as being aware of matters of which he/she ought reasonably to be aware.
A director need not declare an interest in the following circumstances:
- if it cannot reasonably be regarded as likely to give rise to a conflict of interest;
- if the other directors are already aware of it (and for this purpose the other directors are treated as aware of anything of which they ought reasonably to be aware); or
- if it concerns terms of his/her service contract that have been or are to be considered by a meeting of the directors, or by a committee of the directors.
The director in question must send the notice to the other directors. The notice may be sent in hard copy form or in electronic form (if agreed by the other directors). The notice may be sent by hand or by post, or by electronic means (if agreed by the other directors). The declaration will automatically form part of the proceedings at the next board meeting after the declaration is given.
This letter is in open format. Fields should be completed where indicated. Wording in square brackets is optional and can be deleted or retained according to requirements.
Once you have subscribed to the Corporate Document Folder click on the “Download Document” button below. You will be asked what you want to do with the file. It is recommended that you save the document to a location of your choice prior to viewing.