Directors' Loan Agreements
Directors can be involved in loans with companies either because a company makes a loan to one of its directors or because a director may make a loan available to the company that he or she is a director of.
Loans to Directors
Companies may make loans to their directors without seeking approval from their shareholders as long as the aggregate value of the loan(s) is below £10,000.
Loans from directors
To cover both these scenarios, this subfolder contains:
- a Guidance Note – Loans involving Directors, which explains the legal issues involved when there is any lending involving directors and companies;
- secured and unsecured loan agreements which record the terms of a loan given to a director of a company or a person connected with a director (these agreements should only be used where the aggregate value of the loan is below £10,000 so that shareholder approval is not required);
- a Directors’ loan secured over joint property;
- guidance on land registry applications relating to a directors’ secured loan;
- a Shareholders’ Ordinary Resolution to approve a company making a loan to a director or acting as a guarantor for a director (section 197 of the Companies Act 2006);
- a Memorandum in accordance with section 197(4) of the Companies Act 2006, containing the details of the transaction for the members to consider before approving the above ordinary resolution; and
- a long form and basic form of directors’ loan agreement covering the usual commercial terms on which a director may lend to a company.
Each document in the Directors’ Loan Agreements Sub-folder is compliant with the Companies Act 2006.
- Guidance Note: Loans Involving Directors
- Director’s Loan Agreement - Unsecured
- Director’s Loan Agreement - Secured
- Director’s Loan – Secured over Joint Property
- Guidance on Land Registry Applications relating to a Director’s Secured Loan
- Shareholders’ Ordinary Resolution for Approving Loan to a Director or Acting as Guarantor for a Director
- Memorandum of terms of loan to director (197(4) of the Companies Act 2006)
- Directors’ Long Form Loan Agreement – Loan to Company
- Directors’ Loan Agreement Basic Form – Loan to Company
Directors Loan Agreements are part of the Corporate folder. Access all Corporate documents for £35+VAT.