General Doorstep Sale of Services Terms of Business
These General Doorstep Sale of Services Terms of Business are designed for use by service providers who sell their services during visits to customers’ homes (doorstep selling).
This template can be used for any transaction involving the sale of services. If the seller is supplying goods with the services (e.g. selling a product and providing installation services) or if the transaction involves only the sale of goods and not services, we have other sets of template terms of business which should be used instead.
There is a pro-forma service agreement contained in the schedule to the terms of business. This enables the service provider and the customer to enter into a legally binding agreement incorporating the terms of business.
This document complies with the Consumer Rights Act 2015. The language and presentation of the document are designed to be “consumer-friendly” and the document should make sense to an average consumer who has no specialist business or legal knowledge.
The template also complies with the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013, which came into force on 13th June 2014. In particular:
- Customers entering into contracts “off the premises” of the seller are given a cooling-off period. The cooling-off period starts when the contract is made and ends 14 days later. This means customers can change their mind for any reason after placing an order, subject to limited exceptions. Work can however commence within the cooling-off period so long as the customer expressly agrees to this
- The customer is given a clear and concise summary of the pre-contract information they are entitled to receive.
Detailed guidance on the 2013 Regulations can be found in our Information Pages.
It is important for all traders to be aware of their obligations and the rights of their customers under consumer protection laws. This template has been drafted with these laws in mind. Take care when amending the template to remain compliant with the legislation and, in particular, make sure you do not include any terms that may be deemed “unfair”.
Optional phrases / clauses are enclosed in square brackets. These should be read carefully and selected so as to be compatible with one another. Unused options should be removed from the agreement.
These General Doorstep Sale of Services Terms of Business contain the following clauses:
1. Definitions and Interpretation
2. Information about Us
3. Communication and Contact Details
6. Fees and Payment
9. Your Obligations
10. Complaints and Feedback
11. Changing the Start Date
12. Cancellation of Contract During the Cooling Off Period
13. Cancellation Before the Start Date
15. Effects of Termination
16. Events Outside of Our Control (Force Majeure)
18. How We Use Your Personal Information (Data Protection)
19. Other Important Terms
20. Law and Jurisdiction
And the following Schedules:
1. Service Agreement
2. Model Cancellation Form
This document is duplicated in the Terms and Conditions group of documents in the Doorstep Sales Terms and Conditions subfolder.
This document is in open format. Either enter the requisite details in the highlighted fields or adjust the wording to suit your purposes.
Once you have subscribed to the appropriate document folder click on the “Download Document” button below. You will be asked what you want to do with the file. It is recommended that you save the document to a location of your choice prior to viewing.