Doorstep Sale of Goods + Consumables Terms of Business
These Doorstep Sale of Goods + Consumables Terms of Business have been designed for use by traders who sell products to consumers on a door-to-door basis rather than through operating at retail premises or via the internet.
These terms can be applied to a wide range of products. The template should be used where the transaction involves goods which may include consumable goods. For transactions involving non-consumable goods or goods which are perishable or intended to be installed at the customer’s home, please see the relevant set of Terms of Business for that scenario.
This document complies with the Consumer Rights Act 2015. The language and presentation of the document are designed to be “consumer-friendly” and the document should make sense to an average consumer who has no specialist business or legal knowledge.
These terms of business also comply with the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013, which came into force on 13th June 2014. In particular:
- Customers entering into contracts “off the premises” of the seller are given a cooling-off period. The cooling-off period starts when the contract is made and ends 14 days after the goods come into the physical possession of the customer. This means the customer can change their mind for any reason and return the goods to the seller.
- The customer is given a clear and concise summary of the pre-contract information they are entitled to receive.
Detailed guidance on the 2013 Regulations can be found in our Information Pages.
It is important for all traders to be aware of their obligations and the rights of their customers under consumer protection laws. This template has been drafted with these laws in mind. Take care when amending the template to remain compliant with the legislation and, in particular, make sure you do not include any terms that may be deemed “unfair”.
Optional phrases / clauses are enclosed in square brackets. These should be read carefully and selected so as to be compatible with one another. Unused options should be removed from the agreement.
These Doorstep Sale of Goods + Consumables Terms of Business contain the following clauses:
1. Definitions and Interpretation
2. Information about Us
3. Communication and Contact Details
4. The Contract
5. Description and Specification of Goods
7. Price and Payment
9. Faulty, Damaged or Incorrect Goods
10. Cancellation of Contract During the Cooling Off Period
11. [Returning Goods If You Change Your Mind]
12. Complaints and Feedback
13. Events Outside of Our Control (Force Majeure)
15. How We Use Your Personal Information (Data Protection)
16. Other Important Terms
17. Alternative Dispute Resolution
18. Law and Jurisdiction
And the following Schedule:
1. Model Cancellation Form
This document is duplicated in the Terms and Conditions group of documents in the Doorstep Sales Terms and Conditions subfolder.
This document is in open format. Either enter the requisite details in the highlighted fields or adjust the wording to suit your purposes.
Once you have subscribed to the appropriate document folder click on the “Download Document” button below. You will be asked what you want to do with the file. It is recommended that you save the document to a location of your choice prior to viewing.