Landlord’s Letter to Prospective Tenant Sending Specified Information (Wales)
This Landlord’s Letter to Prospective Tenant Sending Specified Information (Wales) is for use by a residential landlord in Wales who wishes to collect a holding deposit from a prospective tenant to secure a tenancy whilst reference checks are carried out.
Under The Renting Homes (Fees etc.) (Holding Deposit) (Specified Information) (Wales) Regulations 2019, residential landlords in Wales are required to provide certain information and documentation to prospective tenants prior to collecting a holding deposit to secure a tenancy on or after the 28 February 2020. Failure to provide this information means that the landlord cannot rely upon certain exceptions to retain a holding deposit (for example, where the tenant fails to take all reasonable steps to enter into the tenancy and where the tenant notifies the landlord that they do not wish to enter into the tenancy) and the holding deposit must be repaid.
The information required, and referred to in this Letter, is:
· The amount of the holding deposit;
· The address of the property in respect of which the deposit is paid;
· Where a holding deposit is to be paid to a landlord, the name and contact details of that landlord;
· Duration of the contract;
· Proposed occupation date;
· Amount of rent or other consideration;
· Rental period;
· Additional proposed contract terms (the template provides for the draft tenancy agreement to be enclosed);
· Amount of any security deposit;
· Whether a guarantor is required and, if so, any relevant conditions;
· Reference checks the landlord will undertake; and
· Information the landlord requires from the tenant (the template provides for a copy of the tenancy application form to be enclosed).
The prospective tenant is asked to sign a copy of the letter and return it to the landlord to confirm receipt. A separate letter should be sent to each tenant and adult occupier if there is more than one.
This Letter can be given to the prospective tenant in person or it can be sent electronically but the landlord must obtain the prospective tenant’s prior written consent to receive it electronically prior to doing so. There is a provision in the template tenancy application form for the prospective tenant to consent to receipt of the Specified Information by email.
This template Letter references guarantee agreements and tenancy application forms, templates for the former can be found in the Assured Shorthold Tenancies (ASTs) subfolder and template application forms can be found in the New Tenancy Forms, Letters and Checklists for Residential Landlords subfolder.
This document is in open format. Either enter the requisite details in the highlighted fields or adjust the wording to suit your purposes.
Once you have subscribed to the appropriate document folder click on the “Download Document” button below. You will be asked what you want to do with the file. It is recommended that you save the document to a location of your choice prior to viewing.