Home Working Data Protection Policy
As the COVID-19 pandemic continues, home working is now a very popular and
necessary options for many businesses in the UK. As a result, a great deal
of personal data that would previously have been confined to business
premises and business systems will be accessed and processed in employees’
homes while the country remains locked down. Having a suitable Data
Protection Policy in place that factors in such extraordinary conditions is
therefore vitally important.
This document has been updated for compatibility with the UK GDPR. It is ready for use from the start of 2021.
Data protection compliance is key in business, and in light of the UK GDPR, it
is essential to promote good knowledge and understanding among your staff
in order to support technical and organisational safeguards.
This Home Working Data Protection Policy is a detailed document. It builds
on our general Data Protection Policy, and supplements it with a number of
useful provisions to make it more suitable for home working. Under normal
circumstances, the handling of personal data by staff working from home may
not be desirable, but data protection compliance must adapt to the current
This Policy template incorporates considerable detail from the UK GDPR in
order to assist in the learning and awareness process throughout your
business. It also sets out a range of measures to be followed designed to
secure and protect personal data, as well as to improve your business’s
compliance with the law.
Please note that this document is designed for business use only, and
certain provisions of the law relating to public authorities and other
official bodies have not been fully incorporated.
Optional phrases / clauses are enclosed in square brackets. These should be
read carefully and selected so as to be compatible with one another. Unused
options should be removed from the document.
This document is also available in the Data Protection Policies subfolder, in our new group on Managing Employment During the Coronavirus Pandemic,
and to Business folder subscribers in our UK GDPR & Data Protection group.
This Home Working Data Protection Policy contains the following sections:
4. The Data Protection Principles
5. The Rights of Data Subjects
6. Lawful, Fair, and Transparent Data Processing
8. Specified, Explicit, and Legitimate Purposes
9. Adequate, Relevant, and Limited Data Processing
10. Accuracy of Data and Keeping Data Up-to-Date
11. Data Retention
12. Secure Processing
13. Accountability and Record-Keeping
14. Data Protection Impact Assessments and Privacy by Design
15. Keeping Data Subjects Informed
16. Data Subject Access
17. Rectification of Personal Data
18. Erasure of Personal Data
19. Restriction of Personal Data Processing
20. [Data Portability]
21. Objections to Personal Data Processing
22. [Automated Processing, Automated Decision-Making, and Profiling]
23. [Direct Marketing]
24. Personal Data Collected, Held, and Processed
25. Data Security – Transferring Personal Data and Communications
26. Data Security – Storage
27. Data Security – Disposal
28. Data Security – Use of Personal Data
29. Data Security – IT Security
30. Organisational Measures
31. Transferring Personal Data to a Country Outside the UK
32. Data Breach Notification
33. Implementation of Policy
This Home Working Data Protection Policy is in open format. Either enter
the requisite details in the highlighted fields or adjust the wording to
suit your purposes.
Once you have purchased access to the appropriate document folder click on
the “Download Document” link below. You will be asked what you want to do
with the file. It is recommended that you save the document to a location
of your choice prior to viewing.