Integration of Fire Precautions & Safety Management
The fire authority also enforces the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 as regards fire safety, in particular the rules on:
- appointment of competent person(s) by the employer to assist him comply with fire safety legislation;
- assessment of fire risks to determine the measures needed both to prevent fire and to protect people in the event of fire;
- fire safety arrangements, such as for managing the specific requirements of the Fire Precautions (Workplace) Regulations and for managing all other fire safety measures including fire prevention, practising fire drills, employee fire safety training, fire investigations, records and whatever else is determined from risk assessments as necessary in helping to control fire risks so far as is reasonably practicable;
- procedures to be followed in the event of fire;
- provision of information to employees and visiting workers as regards fire emergency procedures and the identity of fire marshals;
- where employers share a workplace, co-operation and co-ordination over fire precautions.