Welcome to Simply-Docs

Tenancy Agreements for Private Residential Landlords in England

Residential Tenancy Agreements England

In England, there are several types of tenancy agreements that can be used, depending on the specific circumstances and requirements. Here is a comprehensive list of the various types of tenancy agreements:

  1. Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) is the most common type of tenancy agreement used in England, providing certain rights and protections for both landlords and tenants. Contractual Tenancieare applied to high value properties.
  2. Assured Tenancy: Offers greater security of tenure for tenants and provides additional rights and protections compared to ASTs. Assured tenancies are less common but can still be used in certain circumstances.
  3. Secure Tenancy: Primarily used for social housing provided by local authorities or housing associations, secure tenancies offer tenants significant protection and security of tenure.
  4. Regulated Tenancy: A type of tenancy agreement that has been in place since before 15 January 1989 and is subject to specific rent control regulations. Regulated tenancies are relatively rare and offer strong tenant protections.
  5. Company Let Tenancy Agreements: Used when a property is rented to a company or business rather than an individual. The agreement is between the landlord and the company, outlining the terms and conditions of the tenancy.
  6. Fixed-term Tenancy: A tenancy agreement with a specific fixed duration, typically used for a set period, such as six months or one year. It can be an AST or another type of agreement.
  7. Periodic Tenancy: A tenancy agreement that continues on a rolling basis without a fixed end date, commonly on a month-to-month or week-to-week basis. It can be an AST or another type of agreement.
  8. House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) Tenancy: Used when the property is shared by at least three unrelated individuals who live in that property as their main residence and share common facilities. Additional regulations and licensing requirements often apply to HMO properties.
  9. Excluded Tenancy/Room Licences: Typically used for lodging arrangements where the tenant shares living accommodation with the landlord and has fewer legal protections compared to other types of tenancies.

To view the full range tenancy agreements that are available within the Property subscription please click below:
Assured Shorthold Tenancies
Contractual Tenancies
Company Let Tenancy Agreements
HMO’s and Licencing
Room Licences

These are the primary types of tenancy agreements in England. It's essential to determine the most appropriate of these tenancy agreements based on the specific circumstances and comply with the relevant laws and regulations.

Property Buy Only £35.00 + VAT!
Unlimited Downloads for One Year
No Auto-Renewal

Simply-4-Business Ltd Registered in England and Wales No. 4868909 Unit 100, Parkway House, Sheen Lane, London SW14 8LS