Data Protection Policy for Home Working
As the COVID-19 pandemic continues, home working is now widespread in the
UK and a great deal of personal data that would previously have been
confined to business premises and business systems will be accessed and
processed in employees’ homes while the country remains locked down. Having
a suitable Data Protection Policy in place that factors in such
extraordinary conditions is therefore key.
Data protection compliance is essential in business, and in light of the
GDPR it is very important to promote good knowledge and understanding among
your staff to support technical and organisational safeguards.
This Data Protection Policy for Home Working is a detailed document. It
builds on our standard Data Protection Policy, adding a number of useful
provisions to make it more suitable for the wide adoption of home working.
Under normal circumstances, the handling of personal data by staff working
from home is not desirable in many cases, but data protection compliance
must adapt to the current situation.
This Policy template includes considerable detail from the GDPR in order to
assist in the learning and awareness process throughout your business. It
also sets out a range of measures to be followed designed to secure and
protect personal data, as well as to improve your business’s compliance
with the law.
Please note that this document is designed for business use only, and
certain provisions of the law relating to public authorities and other
official bodies have not been fully incorporated.
Optional phrases / clauses are enclosed in square brackets. These should be
read carefully and selected so as to be compatible with one another. Unused
options should be removed from the document.
This document is also available in the Home Working Documents subfolder, in our new group on Managing Employment During the Coronavirus Pandemic, and
to Business folder subscribers in our GDPR & Data Protection group.
This Data Protection Policy for Home Working contains the following
4. The Data Protection Principles
5. The Rights of Data Subjects
6. Lawful, Fair, and Transparent Data Processing
8. Specified, Explicit, and Legitimate Purposes
9. Adequate, Relevant, and Limited Data Processing
10. Accuracy of Data and Keeping Data Up-to-Date
11. Data Retention
12. Secure Processing
13. Accountability and Record-Keeping
14. Data Protection Impact Assessments and Privacy by Design
15. Keeping Data Subjects Informed
16. Data Subject Access
17. Rectification of Personal Data
18. Erasure of Personal Data
19. Restriction of Personal Data Processing
20. [Data Portability]
21. Objections to Personal Data Processing
22. [Automated Processing, Automated Decision-Making, and Profiling]
23. [Direct Marketing]
24. Personal Data Collected, Held, and Processed
25. Data Security – Transferring Personal Data and Communications
26. Data Security – Storage
27. Data Security – Disposal
28. Data Security – Use of Personal Data
29. Data Security – IT Security
30. Organisational Measures
31. Transferring Personal Data to a Country Outside the EEA
32. Data Breach Notification
33. Implementation of Policy
This Data Protection Policy for Home Working is in open format. Either
enter the requisite details in the highlighted fields or adjust the wording
to suit your purposes.
Once you have purchased access to the appropriate document folder click on
the “Download Document” link below. You will be asked what you want to do
with the file. It is recommended that you save the document to a location
of your choice prior to viewing.