Licence to occupy a room as tenant’s lodger

Licence for Lodger to Occupy a Room in Tenant’s Property


This Licence for Lodger to Occupy a Room in Tenant’s Property should be used where a tenant is taking in a lodger. 

The tenant must check its tenancy agreement carefully before entering into this Licence. Many tenancy agreements prohibit tenants from taking in lodgers or require the tenant to obtain the landlord’s written consent before doing so.

The Licence gives the lodger the use of a bedroom and rights to use other parts of the house (or flat) such as the kitchen, bathroom, corridors, staircase and, optionally, the living room. The lodger is to pay a monthly Licence Fee which is stated to be inclusive of Council Tax. The lodger must also pay a fair proportion of utility bills and cleaning costs. (The cleaning relates only to the shared areas of the house; if the lodger wishes to have his own Room cleaned this should be arranged and paid for separately.)

The licence will run for a fixed term (the Licence Period) but can be brought to an end early by either party giving notice as set out in clause 4. The tenant might prefer to keep the Licence Period fairly short (e.g. a few months) and then renew the Licence if the arrangement is working well. The other option is to have a longer Licence Period and then terminate the Licence if circumstances change.

This Licence does not provide for the lodger to pay a deposit. Note that, if the tenant does take a deposit, the deposit will not need to be protected in a Tenancy Deposit Scheme. Use of such Schemes is compulsory only for deposits taken from assured shorthold tenants. However, the tenant may prefer to use a Tenancy Deposit Scheme as a matter of good practice.

Optional phrases / clauses are enclosed in square brackets. These should be read carefully and selected so as to be compatible with one another. Unused options should be removed from the document.

This Licence for Lodger to Occupy a Room in Tenant’s Property is in open format. Either enter the requisite details in the highlighted fields or adjust the wording to suit your purposes.

Once you have purchased access to the appropriate document folder click on the “Download Document” button below. You will be asked what you want to do with the file. It is recommended that you save the document to a location of your choice prior to viewing.