Doors and Gates
Doors and gates must be suitably constructed, and fitted with any necessary safety device. To satisfy this requirement, safety measures must include at least the following:
- a sliding door or gate must have a device to prevent it coming off its track during use;
- an upward opening door or gate must have a device to prevent it falling back;
- a powered door or gate must have suitable and effective features to prevent it injuring someone by trapping them;
- where necessary for health and safety reasons, a powered door or gate must be capable of being operated manually unless it opens automatically if the power fails;
- a door or gate that can be pushed open from either side must provide a clear view, when closed, of the space close to each side. For example, a person approaching from one side should be able to see a person in a wheelchair close to the other side of the door.