Welcome to Simply-Docs

Using commercial premises for the sale and consumption of food and drink

Restaurant and Café Premises in Wales

Food and drink uses – cafés and restaurants

There are three use classes referred to in the Town and Country Planning (Use Classes) Order 1987 (as amended) that cover use of premises for the sale and consumption of food and drink:

• Class A3 covers premises where food is sold and consumed on the premises, i.e. restaurants and cafés. (Internet cafés are not included in this class as they fall within class A1.)
• Class A4 relates to use as a pub, wine bar or other drinking establishment.
• Class A5 covers use of premises for the sale of hot food for consumption off the premises, i.e. takeaways.

Can I change the permitted use?

Certain changes of use of class A3, A4 and A5 premises do not require planning permission (subject to certain conditions being complied with). Please refer to https://www.planningportal.co.uk/wales_en/ or consult your local authority for further information.

Simply-4-Business Ltd Registered in England and Wales No. 4868909 Unit 100, Parkway House, Sheen Lane, London SW14 8LS