Licence to Occupy a Room on a Part Time basis

Licence to Occupy a Room in the Landlord’s Home (Part Time)


This Licence to Occupy a Room in the Landlord’s Home (Part Time) should be used where the Landlord is taking in a lodger who will live in the property on a regular, but part time, basis.

The part-time arrangements can be specified in the “Permitted Times” section on the first page of the Licence. The most common arrangement will be a Monday to Friday licence for a person who works a long way from home and who needs accommodation during the working week. However, the combination of days and hours can be adjusted to suit the circumstances.

The Licence gives the lodger the use of a bedroom and rights to use other parts of the house (or flat) such as the kitchen, bathroom, corridors, staircase and, optionally, the living room. The lodger is to pay a monthly Licence Fee which is stated to be inclusive of Council Tax. The lodger must also pay a fair proportion of utility bills and cleaning costs. (The cleaning relates only to the shared areas of the house; if the lodger wishes to have his own Room cleaned this should be arranged and paid for separately.)

The Licence has an optional clause which provides that the Landlord will not enter or use the lodger’s room outside the Permitted Times (i.e. when the lodger is not living there) without the lodger’s consent. It may be that the Landlord requires use of the room during these times, e.g. because the Landlord needs to accommodate weekend visitors; if so, this clause could be amended to suit the Landlord’s requirements.

The licence will run for a fixed term (the Licence Period) but can be brought to an end early by either party giving notice as set out in clause 4. Landlords might prefer to keep the Licence Period fairly short (e.g. a few months) and then renew the Licence if the arrangement is working well. The other option is to have a longer Licence Period and then terminate the Licence if circumstances change.

This Licence does not provide for the lodger to pay a deposit. Note that, if the Landlord does take a deposit, the deposit will not need to be protected in a Tenancy Deposit Scheme. Use of such Schemes is compulsory only for deposits taken from assured shorthold tenants. However, the Landlord may prefer to use a Tenancy Deposit Scheme as a matter of good practice.

Optional phrases / clauses are enclosed in square brackets. These should be read carefully and selected so as to be compatible with one another. Unused options should be removed from the document.

This Licence to Occupy a Room in the Landlord’s Home (Part Time) is in open format. Either enter the requisite details in the highlighted fields or adjust the wording to suit your purposes.

Once you have purchased access to the appropriate document folder click on the “Download Document” button below. You will be asked what you want to do with the file. It is recommended that you save the document to a location of your choice prior to viewing.