Statutory Adoption Leave Start Dates
The start date of an employee’s adoption leave depends on whether he or she is adopting a child from within the UK or from overseas.
Adopting from within the UK
Employees who are adopting a child from within the UK can choose to start their leave (and statutory adoption pay if applicable) on either:
- the date on which the child is placed with them; or
- a date no more than 14 days before the expected date of placement and no later than the expected date of placement for adoption.
Adopting from Overseas
Employees adopting a child from overseas can choose to begin their statutory adoption leave on either:
- the date on which the child enters the UK; or
- a pre-determined date no later than 28 days after the date on which the child enters the UK.
Changing the Start Date
Employees can change the commencement date of their statutory adoption leave by giving notice at least 28 days before whichever is the sooner of:
- their adoption start date; or
- their new adoption start date.
Where such notice is not reasonably practicable, the employee must give as much notice as possible.
Where the start date is changed, the employer must confirm the new end date of the adoption leave within 28 days of the start of the leave period.