Welcome to Simply-Docs

Restaurant and Café Premises (England)

Restaurant and Café Premises in England

From 1 September 2020, premises previously in use classes A3, A4 and A5 in England either fall within the new class E or are “sui generis”, i.e. not in any use class.

Restaurants and cafés

Class E(b) covers premises where food and drink is sold and consumed on the premises, i.e. restaurants and cafés.

Pubs and takeaways

Pubs, wine bars and other drinking establishments are “sui generis”, meaning they do not fall within any use class and a specific planning permission is required for changes to and from this use. Hot food takeaways are also sui generis.

Can I change the permitted use?

As mentioned above, planning permission is required for changes of use of pubs and takeaways. Certain changes of use of class E(b) premises do not require planning permission (subject to certain conditions being complied with). Please refer to https://www.planningportal.co.uk/ or consult your local authority for further information.

Simply-4-Business Ltd Registered in England and Wales No. 4868909 Unit 100, Parkway House, Sheen Lane, London SW14 8LS