Energy Efficiency Improvements
The documents in this folder are for use by residential landlords and tenants.
The folder contains guidance notes and a range of letters and notices relating to the Tenants’ Energy Efficiency Improvements regime contained in Part 2 of The Energy Efficiency (Private Rented Property) (England and Wales) Regulations 2015.
Part 2 of the 2015 Regulations allows residential tenants to request their landlord’s consent to make energy efficiency improvements to the rented property. Landlords must not unreasonably refuse consent if the tenant’s request complies with the Regulations.
Tenants must demonstrate that the improvements will be made at no cost to the landlord. They may be financed by green deal funding, provided free of charge by an energy company, funded by a grant or paid for by the tenant (or a combination of the above).
The guidance notes contain detailed information about the regime and should be referred to when using the template documents.
The folder also contains template documents that can be used where landlords wish to or are obligated to carry out energy efficiency works. Since 1 April 2020 all domestic tenant property must have a Minimum Energy Efficiency rating of at least E. The government's proposals for all residential lets to achieve an EPC rating of C or above by 1 April 2028 have been scrapped. Whilst not yet legally required to make improvements, landlords may wish to continue upgrading their properties and the template letters can assist with this.
These documents will be reviewed, as necessary, in line with any changes to legislation or supporting guidance which may be published by the government.
- Guidance Notes on Tenants’ Energy Efficiency Improvements
- Tenant’s Request for Consent to Energy Efficiency Improvements
- Landlord’s First Letter to Superior Landlord Regarding Energy Efficiency Improvements
- Landlord’s Letter to Superior Landlord Enclosing Counter Proposal
- Landlord’s Letter to Superior Landlord Enclosing Full Response
- Landlord’s Initial Response Letter Regarding Energy Efficiency Improvements
- Landlord’s Full Response Letter Regarding Energy Efficiency Improvements
- Landlord’s Counter Proposal for Energy Efficiency Improvements
- Tenant’s Response to Counter Proposal for Energy Efficiency Improvements
- Letter to Residential Tenant Requesting Access for Energy Assessment
- Letter to Head Landlord for Consent to Carry Out Energy Improvement Works and Request to Notify Insurer of Works
- Letter to head landlord to request notification to insurer of works (consent to works not required)
- Letter to lender for consent to carry out energy improvements
- Letter to residential tenant with copy of updated EPC
- Letter to residential tenant requesting access to carry out energy efficiency improvement works
These Energy Efficiency Improvements templates are part of the Property Documents Folder. Just £35.00 + VAT will provide you with 1 year's unlimited access to download all/any documents from the Property Folder.